Tafwyl is Cardiff’s annual Welsh language arts & culture festival. Its a huge Welsh party for everyone! The festival is held at Llandaff Fields on Saturday July 1st and Sunday July 2nd.
Tafwyl brings you the biggest names in Welsh arts, culture and sport to Cardiff; along with an excellent street food area. Entry to the festival is free and I promise there is something for everyone including babies and toddlers!
Whats on for toddlers and kids?
BWRLWM! Play Zone
Create, play and get messy! Find a full list of whats on this year below –
- Wildlife Clay Printing
- RSPB Workshops
- Head Dress Workshop
- Den Building
- Gardening Sessions
- Circus Skills
- Green Magic Wands Workshop
- Scrap Material Arts & Crafts
- Huge Bubble Making with Dr Zigs
Cardiff Libraries Tipi
Join Cardiff Libraries in their tipi for storytime and craft sessions. Find out more about their Summer Reading Challenge.
Sponsored by New Directions Education
Come and join in the fun at ‘Y Llwyfan’! A jam packed day of music, drama and dance! As well as performances by the city’s primary schools, crews from Plasmawr, Glantaf, Bro Edern and Academi Berfformio Caerdydd will be performing. Children from the Cylchoedd Meithrin will also take to the stage – certainly, Tafwyl’s youngest and cutest performers! In charge of the fun on the Saturday are Trystan Elis Morris & Tudur Phillips, and on the Sunday you can come over to sing & dance with S4C’s Cyw presenters.
I am really looking forward to seeing my son and his school perform!!
The Baby Yurt
Sponsored by Green Giraffe Nursery
The Baby Yurt will be run by The Green Giraffe Nursery which is a bilingual, organic nursery for 0-5 year olds. There will be lots of fun and interesting activities for young children to take part in throughout the weekend with scheduled group sessions as well as open activities to pop in and take part in whenever you want. Let your child get messy with Body Painting, Gloop Making and Squirt Gun Painting sessions! Join in healthy snack making workshops, and storytime & song sessions. Get away from the hustle and bustle of the festival in the cosy chilled out area, where a feeding station and baby changing unit will be there for you to also utilise if needs be.
Whats on for Welsh learners?
The Learners’ Tent have something to suit everyone again this year – from pure beginners to fluent Welsh speakers who need a boost to use the language. There will be a variety of interesting guests taking part on the stage, lots of fun in the Arts & Crafts Corner run by Cymraeg for Kids, and a free cuppa in the café. Great opportunities to practise your Welsh and get to know other Welsh learners. Also, if you’re interested in learning Welsh, come over and see us at the Information Corner to find a course that suits you.
On the Saturday, come and meet the actors from Pobol y Cwm and the singer Gareth Bonello, learn more about Dr Lynda Pritchard Newcombe’s new book and enjoy a session on second language learning tactics with the Cardiff University lecturer, Dr Jonathan Morris. There will also be an opportunity to learn about the National Eisteddfod Cardiff 2018 and to have fun with your children during Cymraeg for Kids’ Welsh Rhymetime.
On the Sunday, come and join the fun in the Macbeth workshop with Theatr Genedlaethol Cymru, enjoy a “How to Learn Vocabulary” session and learn more about Welsh reading books that are suitable for you in the session with Jo Knell, the owner of Cant a Mil Vintage. Manon Steffan Rhos will also be there, talking about her new “Stori Sydyn” book and there will be another Cymraeg for Kids Welsh Rhymetime session, so why not come along and enjoy!?
What can we eat?
Tafwyl promises to be a foodie’s paradise. Milgi pop-up restaurant coming to the event for the first time, and there will be more street food stalls than ever before. From authentic Thai, Mexican and Greek street food to wholesome vegetarian and vegan dishes, there’s something for everyone at this year’s event.
- Milgi – Cardiff’s popular veggie restaurant will be bringing their pop up restaurant to Tafwyl
- Ffwrnes – Wood-fired Neopolitan style pizzas with Welsh-Italian inspired toppings
- Fritter Shack – Wholesome vegan and veggie food using the finest and freshest ingredients from Wales
- El Chilango Cocina Mexicana – Delicious Mexican tacos, nachos and guacamole
- Bodlon – Innovative salads and freshly-made sandwiches
- Grazing Shed – Gourmet burgers made from quality locally sourced Welsh ingredients
- Welsh Creperie Co. – Gourmet sweet and savoury crepes, including vegetarian options
- Meat and Greek – Authentic Greek street food served hot off the charcoals
- Brother Thai – Thai street food pop-up from the streets of Bangkok to the heart of South Wales
- Fablas – Artisan ice cream and sorbets in dozens of delicious flavours
- Brodies Coffee Camper – Delicious freshly ground coffee and home-baked cakes, served from a converted VW camper
- Science Cream – Delicious dessert variations including cookie sandwiches, baked Alaskas, candy floss cones and brownie bombs
Anyone fancy a drink?
- Main Bar – The main bar will keep visitors hydrated with a large range of ales, lagers, wines, spirits and soft drinks.
- Syched Bar – will be selling a range of Welsh ales including Tafwyl’s exclusively brewed Cwrw Tafwyl (Tomos & Lilford), Felinfoel, Cwrw Braf (Tomos Watkin) and Tiny Rebel
- Milgi Cocktail Bar – Milgi will be hosting a cocktail bar –serving their home-made natural cocktails to anyone who needs a little thirst quencher
- Cavavan – This psychedelic 70s caravan has been lovingly converted into a pop up bar selling Cava, Prosecco and Champagne
Where can we shop?
There will be various stallholders at Tafwyl Fair this year, from food and drink stalls, to arts and crafts stalls. Here’s a full list of this year’s stallholders:
- Bacws Haf
- Calon Mam
- Carw Piws
- Ceginau Baw Cymru
- Dyfal Donc
- Dyma Fi
- Einir PG
- Gemwaith Wyn Jewellery
- Katherine Jones
- Katie Barret Photography
- Katy Mai
- Lyfkins Coffee
- Meinir Wyn
- Michael Goode
- Miriam Jones
- Perris & Corr
- Rhiannon Art
- Sara Lois Jewellery
- Seren Willow
- Stiwdio Mwclai
- Tast Natur
- Wic Wam a Apton
- Fair Do’s
- Rig Out
- Oriel Pwlldefaid
- Penylan Pantry
- Penylan Preserves
- Merched y Wawr
- Teithiau Tango
- Cymdeithas yr Iaith Gymraeg
- Y Dinesydd
This is just a peek at what Tafwyl has to offer this year. For more information or to see what bands will be playing, please visit the Tafwyl website by clicking HERE
Will you be attending this year?